Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin

T was asking for "pork, pork, pork" for dinner. So, I bought a pork loin, stuffed it with sausage, and wrapped it in bacon. I think that fit the bill. This was so good and totally paleo.

Stuffed Pork Loin
1 pork loin
a package of hot Italian sausage
1/2 an onion chopped
1 red or orange bell pepper chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup of chopped pecans
cinnamon, cumin, coriander, red pepper, salt and pepper. (I didn't measure these just sprinkled them on top until they had an even color across the top)
3 tbs coconut flour
1/2 stick of butter
about 2 tsp xanthan as a thickener (add a little, mix, and see how it goes)

Cook the sausage, onion, pepper, and garlic until the sausage is mostly cooked through. Set to the side to cool a bit.



Cut the pork loin down the center being careful not to slice all the way through. Core out the center to make room for the stuffing. To do this cut a well down the length of the loin being careful not to cut all the way through. I say be careful again! Mainly because I'm such a clutz that I managed to drop the large knife I was using and it bounced back into my shin. Yes, I am capable of cutting my shin while cooking! Luckily it wasn't bad an I was able to clean it up and move on to more delicious endeavors. Like stuffing the loin with the sausage and adding the pecans.


Fold the loin over the stuffing being careful to keep it in.
On a large cutting board lay some twine down perpendicular to your loin. Place strips of bacon in same direction. Put loin on top of bacon. Wrap the bacon around the loin and then tie it into place with twine.
Season the top evenly with above seasonings or one of your choosing. (I'm always partial to spicy ones)


In a covered baking dish cook the loin at 200 for 4 hours or 350 for 2 (low and slow people, low and slow).



In the last 20 minutes pour out drippings into a bowl and set aside.
Melt butter and add flour to make a roux for gravy.
When the roux is a nice brown color add the drippings. The coconut flour will not thicken your gravy which is why you will need xanthan.
Slice your loin and pour on gravy.
Try not to drool.





1 comment:

  1. ummm... what! this looks amazing, just wish the cholesterol wasn't so bad :>( Love you Cass!

    ReplyDelete