Sunday, January 16, 2011

Caldo Xochitl



I had Sunday Soup day with some ladies today. Sunday Soup day is just what it sounds like. I make something delicious, someone brings a salad, and we all get together and talk. This Sunday I wanted to make something green chili inspired. I flipped through my recipe books and nothing inspired me until I grabbed a never before used cook book from the local Junior League. The soup was mostly veggies, green chilies, and chicken. I added and substituted here and there but for the most part used it as my guide. It was very tasty. I never would have thought to put cloves in a savory soup but it worked so well that I will try it more in the future. This soup was a perfect savory, warm but not too hot, healthy soup.
Caldo Xochtil
5cooked chicken breasts cut up
5qt of homemade chicken stock
1.5tbs of cumin
1 bunch of basil chopped up
3 bay leaves
2 tsp cloves
1 cinnamon stick
two medium sized zucchini cut up
5 carrots cut up
2 green bell peppers
2 poblano peppers
2 green jalapeno peppers
1 onion cut up
4 cloves of garlic cut up
about 3 cups of pre-soaked navy beans

In an oven on high broil blacken the peppers rotating to get them blackened all around.

In a very large stock pot saute onions and garlic until the onions are soft, add the carrots and cook on medium high for about 5 minutes.

When the peppers are blackened dice them. I seeded a few to keep the heat down. When they are diced add them to the veggies in the pot.
Add the cumin and clove stirring frequently for 5 minutes
Add the stock, the cinnamon, bay leaves, chicken, basil and beans.

Simmer in pot for 20-30 minutes on medium low. When carrots are becoming tender add the zucchini and cook for another 20 minutes.

Let it cool and refridgerate over night. magic happens over night. always let your beans and soups rest over night. ALWAYS!

Reheat and add avocados, cilantro, and diced tomatoes on top. Yum.

T and I had soup with dinner which consisted of steak and roasted beets, as pictured above.

1 comment: